Practical Presentation Skills – Practical Workshop for Scientists, Researchers, & Academics
October 25 @ 9:30 am - October 29 @ 12:00 pm CEST€360
Dates and times: 25 Oct, 27 Oct, 29 Oct, 9:30am-12:00pm CET
PRESENT CLEARLY, CONFIDENTLY, AND AUTHENTICALLY, AND GET YOUR MESSAGE ACROSS WITH IMPACT
Our one-day presentation skills training course is designed to help scientists and researchers focus on their audience and their message first so that they are certain about what they want to say, to whom, and how they want the audience to behave or respond as a result. Then we help participants harness their natural style and add to it so that they can relax, be themselves, and make an impact.
This course will cover:
- Your skills: what’s already working and where do you want to improve?
- The point of presentations and how they work
- Why and how to define the objective of your presentation
- Assessing your audience and their expectations
- The importance of neutral English, culture, communication styles, and values when presenting
- How to apply a simple framework to quickly plan your message and structure your presentation
- Memorable openings and “hooks”
- Power language, anecdotes, and stories to engage your audience
- Body language, eye contact, and your voice (pitch, pause and pace)
- Owning the stage: style, flair, presence
- Overcoming nerves so that you can present with clarity in front of any sized group
- Building confidence in your natural style
- Pulling it all together to present your science/research/results in a way that helps your audience understand the significance of your findings
- How to read the audience and make sure that you don’t lose anyone
- Managing Q&A sessions with confidence, handling difficult questions, and leaving them wanting more (for all the right reasons)
- PLUS: doing it all online (pros, cons, tips, techniques)
You’ll have multiple opportunities to present in front of the group on the day, try out tips and techniques, and get on-the-spot-feedback from the trainer and group.
Please note that this workshop focuses on planning, structure, and delivery, but it is not a slide design/visual design programme. Although cover basic slide/visual tips, if you want to focus on visual design/slide design/presenting data visually, you may want to take a look at our Designing Slides and Visuals Workshop.
3 sessions of 2.5 hours each
Pre-work and homework
Before joining this course, you will be asked to do some work in advance, and there will be "homework" in between sessions.
This workshop is suitable for scientists, researchers, and subject-matter experts who present research and papers at conferences or give informal presentations to mixed groups, and who want to improve their oral presentation skills.
The purpose of this workshop is to help scientists develop the skills and confidence that they need to plan and present their research to peers, the public, and multi-disciplinary scientific audiences. By taking an audience-focused approach to presenting, participants will be able to present content in the right way at the right level to engage their listeners.
Would you like to run this course in-house and virtually for your team?
We can run this course as an in-house virtual programme for your team, tailored to your specific needs. For more information about how we can help, get in touch.